7. Vessel Operations, Hazards & Risks
COMPLETING SECTION 7: VESSEL OPERATIONS, HAZARDS & RISKS – Section 7 contains your vessel-specific procedures to manage the safety of your vessel(s) operation, hazards and risks.
- Click the blue button to show a list of pre-written procedures. The procedure-picker page will appear directly below the first page in Section 7.
- Click the title of each procedure to add it to your SMS. Added Procedures appear below on the next page.
- Choose only the procedures that are relevant to your normal operation (not one-off occurrences). You can then read and edit the procedure. If the procedure is not relevant to your normal operations, simply delete it. You can always come back to this section at any time to add procedures.
- This procedures-picker page should be hidden again before printing by clicking the blue bar at the top of the procedures picker page.
To create a blank page to add your own procedures, click the add page button at the end of this page.
In addition to the pre-written procedures you include or ones you write yourself, you MUST include one or more of the following ways to identify your risks on board and develop ways to mitigate them. As these will be used often, all the risk assessments used to compliment your SMS will be kept outside of this main document.
- Risk Register: It is highly recommended that you do this. You should have received a blank risk assessment with your SMS document.
- Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
- Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS)
- Other: If your company has other ways of identifying risks and developing procedures then once you print your SMS use that as part of your SMS. Other documents might include Standard operating procedures (SOP).